Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Deluge!

Rainy season-- not a term I normally connect to the Northwest, but this year, the rains have hit with a vengeance. I believe we've had 6 inches of rain in the past two days. Other parts of the state have had over 2 FEET since Thursday. Flooded streets, damp socks and carpets usher in the wet.

Every time I read a children's story about Noah's Ark, I wonder at the pictures of water serenely rising to cover rooftops, trees and mountains. Never mind the animals and people who went to their watery graves, Noah's story tends to emphasize the way God saved the cute critters and ignores how he wiped most of humankind off the earth.

I imagine it was horrific dying in the flood. The tsunami of southest Asia comes to mind. Pictures on TV show cars flooded, abandoned and swept away by water that rushes desparately toward the ocean. Pictures that, then multiply by a thousand, or a million.

Mercy and Judgment.

Truth and Grace.

Judge and Defense.

All come together in the story of the flood, a story of destruction and redemption. On days like this, I'm thankful that God won't destroy the world by flood again. And I keep my eyes open for a rainbow and the hope of God's promises.

No comments: