Sunday, August 05, 2007

A Blessing or a Curse?

I don't plant zucchini. Never have. Never will.

It might be because of the canned zucchini Mom made us as kids (the kind in tomato sauce that makes your teeth squeak) or perhaps it's because of the mysterious qualities of the gourd.

Consider how zucchini grows. It hides under leaves until it's the size of a city bus. In a single day, a zucchini can grow to 27 times its original size. As a gardener, you never want to look at a sweet, succulent small green zucchini and say, "Oh, look how cute. I'll pick that one tomorrow." Tomorrow it will be bigger than your dog.

Then there's the way zucchini multiply. If you pick 3 and use 2, you will have 7 left over. I promise.

Also, zucchini has a way of sneaking around. It likes to curl up in paper grocery sacks with its friends and hide in obvious places like the front seat of your car, on your front porch, or on your kitchen counter. Neighbors ring your doorbell and run, leaving a whole flock of the green torpedoes behind. That way you can't refuse them the joy of sharing their garden produce with you.

Share with me all you like, but please hold the zucchini.

(I don't know if it's rubbing off or if it's an inborn trait, but my cucumbers are starting to show some of these same sneaky qualities as their cousins)

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I have never had a garden with zucchini, so I don't know what I would do with an over-abundance, but I do love zucchini!

Papa John said...

In rural churches the "Big Z" is the main reason for locking your car on Sunday mornings, especially if you have a trunk or a big back seat!