Friday, August 10, 2007

Nice To Know

I'm not much of a daredevil so I don't tend to get myself in sticky situations very often. Still, it's nice to know that if I did, chances are someone would rescue me.

For all the bad things people can say and have been saying about America, there are still a lot of wonderful aspects of living in this country. One is that we place a premium on the worth of a human life.

I watched a rescue yesterday, what I suspect was a training mission. For over two hours, this helicopter hovered beside the North Head Lighthouse. Its rotors flattened the water below and forced back the tide. From time to time a rescuer in orange would descend to the cliff where two men clung. Finally, the two stranded men were lifted to safety. Then the helicopter started circling over the waves, first in low tight circles, then in widening, higher ones.

Not that I would ever be tempted to climb the cliff at North Head (no comments, Lori F.!) but isn't it good to know that if I did, someone might see me and come for me? On the other hand, perhaps we Americans rely so much on our safety nets that we feel we can get by with anything.

Then again, isn't that human nature? It seems like the apostle Paul said something about people sinning more so they could get more grace. As if God is some giant rescue helicopter who will swoop in at the last minute and save us from our own stupidity again and again and again.

Oh wait. He will.

It's nice to know.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Aimee Jo said...

It is nice to know! Thank you, Lord!