Friday, August 17, 2007

A Year Ahead

As I celebrate being 39 for the first time, I don't feel too much impact. Maybe it's like Sara says - it's just a number. Or maybe it's that I've spent the last 10 months already thinking of myself as 39.

My husband is 10 months older than I am and, for some reason, when he has a birthday, I feel like I'm that old, too. I think I just can't hold too many facts in my head at once, so it's easier to round up to the next year. That way I only have to remember one number.

Most years my birthday comes and goes without much fanfare. This year, though, I'm happy to say that I'll be spending the evening with friends and family, indulging in a feast of fresh Alaskan seafood and group games. I think the last time I had a party was almost 10 years ago when my team kidnapped me and took me out to Alt Munchen, a fabulous German restaurant in Lome. (Thanks, guys!)

39's not so bad, but in 2 months I'll think I'm 40!

7 comments:

brenvanc said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!

Papa John said...

Let the world know.... She's not acting like 39 ...... Yet!!

Sandi said...

I'm not sure what constitutes a party, but let's not forget your birthday celebration when I opened my car door and made the piment lady spill her staining piment all over linen and silk. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you!!
Hey! We are the same age!
Only I will be 40 a whole lot sooner! lol
Congratulations for many happy returns!

Linda Judd said...

Hi Patty. Don't know if you even remember me, since I haven't seen you since we moved away from Juneau (the first time) in 1978. I guess you were 10 then.

Anyway, happy, happy birthday! I'm enjoying reading your blog.

Aimee Jo said...

Happy Birthday, Patty!! I hope that your party was so much fun!

Aimee Jo said...

Happy Birthday, Patty! I hope that your party was a blast!!