Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Long Lost Twin

When I was in High School, I had a twin. It didn't matter that she was 3 years younger and Chinese. We did everything together for a season. We dressed alike, hung out, even sang some pretty ridiculous songs over and over and OVER to learn the harmony.

I moved away, she moved on. We both got on with our lives and lost touch with each other.

She called yesterday. She just moved to my town.

I wonder, will it be one of those relationships that doesn't diminish with the passage of time? Or will we have an awkward start? Have we grown in such different ways that we won't have anything in common? Will she be so busy with her life and I with mine that we won't see each other or will we be twins again.

Honestly, I can't imagine buying matching outfits, but maybe we'll have to try out a chorus of "We're Melody and Harmony and Harmony and Melody and everything we say and do is sweet just like our song."

The difference is this time we'll be annoying our kids instead of our parents.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

How neat! I hope it won't be too awkward -- you both have had very different lives, I suppose, but sometimes that makes for interesting friendships!

Anonymous said...

The friendship may be different & new, but who could not be friends with you?
I am sure you will both enjoy catching up!