Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Middle Child

It's my job as the middle child to make sure everyone is happy. I hate conflict, fights, discontent. I'm more likely to pull myself out of a situation than to allow any negative energy to focus on me. I may not be good at my job, but it's my place in the family.

Yesterday, a friend asked me to send out one of those emails that turns into a prayer tree, a network of people across the country praying blessings on each other. My first response was to push delete. I don't like sending anything to friends that requires action on their part, especially something that may or may not have originated with friend #1.

So I went back to her and, indeed, she confirmed that the email was part of her nephew's class project. Now what to do? Should I stick to my "policy" and push delete? Or should I help a poor kid (and his poor aunt who was also roped in)?

I sent it out, as several of you know. I hope it was an encouragement to some of you. I know a couple of you just pushed delete. And couple of wrote back to me to say either "This is bogus" or "I don't do this kind of thing."

I stewed about this thing all last night. It's that middle child in me that wants everyone to be happy. That's why I sent the message out. It's also why I felt guilty about it and felt like I was bothering people.

I hate bothering people. But I also hate letting people down.

3 comments:

Shelli said...

I too feel guilty like the middle child, except I am the oldest child.
I think I inherited my sisters ways even though she is the middle one.
I struggled with the email as you did, but, I did do as asked. And today have heard back in a positive way from a few people. I then wrote them back and said thank you, and proceeded to write a nice long letter
to reconnect. It was a a 'good thing'. HUGS to you!

Patty said...

It's a tightrope... you can't please everyone all the time. I think it's a little self-cenetered of me to think I can and should. Glad to hear it helped you reconnect!

Anonymous said...

I am the youngest, but have often been called "the glue" in our family. It is a responsibility I wouldnt wish on anyone, especially those of us who have a tendancy towords guilt! I usually hit delete & wont take part either, however .......for some reason, I went ahead & did it. Now that I know for sure it was legit, I'm sure glad I was part of it!
Thanks for including me!