Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Small Sky

I traveled today with my family to Texas for a missionary conference/reunion. Since there are five in our family, we always sit 3 on one side of the aisle and 2 on the other. Which means we always have a stranger in the row with us.

On our flight from Houston to Dallas, I shared a row with a flight attendant on her way back home after getting off work. We chatted through several subjects during our 43 minute flight - Why she became a flight attendant, To Kill a Mockingbird, modesty for young girls, Beth Moore.

As our plane started its descent into Dallas, she noted that she could tell I'd traveled with kids before. What gave me away? The snacks? The coloring books? The toys?

"We were missionaries in West Africa," I said, intending to explain that we were headed to a missions conference. But she didn't let me.

"I was a missionary in East Africa!" she exclaimed.

"Really? What part?"

"Uganda."

"Really? What city?"

She told me. As it happened, I knew some people who used to work there.

"What group were you with?" I asked.

"Well, there are lots of denominations in Uganda, but I worked with a Church of Christ team."

You could have knocked me down by blowing on me. I started naming people I knew on that team. You guessed it. Same team. In fact, we even attended the same retreat in Kenya 6 years ago.

Small Sky!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A God-wink moment.....I LOVE those!

Cheryl said...

Okay...I'm so curious. Can you email me who this is?

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Have fun in Texas! Love, Sara

Anonymous said...

God is so sweet.

Papa John said...

Sounds to me like God sent you a Guardian Angel for this flight.

Did you invite her to come to Together for Togo with you?

I love these heavenly goose-bumps. Wheeeee.

Shelli said...

Small Sky, BIG GOD!! woweeeeeee!