Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Travesty

I had a teacher in France, Madame Weille, who would have fainted at the thought of throwing out a piece of bread. Every morsel, every crumb of each baguette was used either as pain perdu (French toast) or as bird food. "Jamais," she would say, "Never throw bread away. It would disrespect our memory of the war, when our bread kept us alive."

I smiled inwardly at her passion over bread. I knew then, as I do now, that throwing away a piece of bread or a bowl of rice or a half-eaten serving of salad does not really affect the soldiers of WWII or the starving children of India, China or Africa.

Still, when I made too much Akume (Ugali, cornmeal mush) tonight, I could not throw it away. If I have to eat it for breakfast, fry it into chips and introduce it to my dog, it will all get eaten. Because really, when it comes down to it, I am tied to the hungry people of Africa. I can see their faces as I eat their food.

And to throw away their sustenance would disrespect their memory. It might not affect them, but it affects me.

3 comments:

Greg Bailey said...

Hey Patty,

Let me imagine why you fixed Akume last night?

I was reminded by one of my children this morning that if we still lived in Africa she wouldn't have been running late for school and therefore wouldn't be all stressed out!

We have inexplicable ties to people from two worlds and yet belong to another. Blessings to all.

Shelli said...

There is much to gleen from the wise of yesterday. Though I have not been to Africa or the like I can appreciate what I/WE do have. You have given me a hunger for helping those less fortunate Patty and I love you for that.
What small scraps of food I do toss, goes to my chickens who then produce eggs to feed us and others and so it goes.....

Sandi said...

I am with you, Patty. Thank you for putting it into words.