Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Countdown

As we drove from mile 88 to mile 9, I was treated to a play-by-play countdown of highway miles that went something like this:

"That said 79. Did you see it? 79. That means next we'll see 78, but not until we see 2 more 79's, right? Exit 79. Exit 79. E-X-I-T. Now we'll see some 78's. You watch for the signs and I'll read them, okay?

"Hey, that said 77. What happened to 78? Did you see it? I didn't. Did you? 77. 77. I'll count to 77 now.

"1...2...3...4...5... (and so on) ...77. 77 is not a big number because it didn't take long to count that high. Exit 77. Now 76. Watch for 76, okay?"

I'm not kidding. It was an 79 mile monologue, punctuated only by a couple of grunts from me. The miles went quickly, but my goodness, all that talking makes me tired.

Oh, and did I mention we're in countdown mode for birthday #6?

1 comment:

David said...

Oh, but it could have been worse. MUCH worse! Imagine if you had been traveling in one of those states that numbers their freeway exits SEQUENTIALLY, rather than by mile. Wikipedia: "Exit Numbers in the United States" is an interesting read. Glad you arrived!