Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Imitation Incentive

We did it.

We joined the bajillions of other resolvers and bought ourselves a treadmill for Christmas.

If there's anything I know about myself, it's that I'm easily bored. (I get that from a father who likes to take a different route every time he leaves the house.)

So I know that I'm a likely candidate to give up unless I have some kind of incentive to keep using the behemoth bedside stand.

I've borrowed an idea from a friend of mine and have decided to pay myself by the mile (I'm not even compensating for the fact that treadmill miles feel like they equal 3 regular miles).

Another idea (nods to Mom) is to measure off distances to places you want to visit and when you've walked that distance, you get to go there. So, this week I might be able to go to Starbucks, next week to Target and by the end of the summer, maybe I'd earn a trip to Saskatchewan.

Do you use any kind of incentive to keep you going on things you really don't like to do?

3 comments:

David said...

Chocolate works well!

Crystal Laine said...

I get a really good book and read as I treadmill, or something to listen to, like a writers instructional CD,or listen to devotionals and do prayerwalking, too. It makes the time pass quickly, is safer than walking on the street/outdoors because you are distracted. I have also put it in front of a TV so I can catch up on a movie or show.

I really like the name--clayinkpots. Cute!

I get bored, too, though.(And I was a P.E. teacher!)

Anonymous said...

DH works on my website in compensation for my time on the torture machin..uh, treadmill. No, he didn't volunteer, but I did con him into it.