Thursday, January 17, 2008

Observations at the Grocery Store

The only thing sadder than a Christmas tree on July the 25th (nod to Shel Silverstein) is a tomato on January 15. The ground is frozen solid and even the chard had finally given up on hope for spring, so I set aside my garden catalogs and troop off to buy groceries.

Sometimes I think it's just my imagination that prices are rising, but this time it's for real. Milk is up 89 cents, bread is up 20 cents, eggs are almost twice what they were last year. Even the gas to get me to the store is more, but that's not news to you. I bet you're feeling it, too.

As for the great grocery question - paper or plastic - I've finally decided to say "neither." Armed with 8 canvas bags, I am self-sufficient in the bagging department. The only thing is, I haven't quite got my system down, so I feel the press of the line behind me as I try to stand up my bags in the cart to fit just right. I hate to inconvenience the other customers, though I do imagine people looking in my cart and thinking, "poor dear. She still has to go home and cook dinner for her 14 children. Why doesn't she bring some along to help?"

The truth is, I like shopping alone. I don't have to tell anyone not to hang on the cart. I don't have to keep saying, "no, we don't need a box of sugar coated chocolate bombs. Put them back." Let the kids save their energy for when I get home. I'll need their help carrying everything into the house.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

I am so glad to have home grown eggs.
If there is no food in the pantry we always have eggs!
I can appreciate the 14 bags of groceries. Last time in Seattle I hit Winco and loaded up the poor cart to almost beyond capacity. Green beans and corn for 25 cents each, WOW. I am used to paying 65 cents or more at my local stores.
Costs are rising.....

Anonymous said...

"chocolate coated sugar bombs"...Someone has been reading Calvin and Hobbes or listening to my children who do...