Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Party Line

I threw a birthday party for one of my kids this week, Granted, it wasn't the most exciting party ever in the history of the world, but we had crafts and games, cake and ice cream, party favors and time to play with the birthday girls' new toys.

"Where's the pinata?" asked one guest. "Do we get a present to take home with us?"

(If you're reading this blog and your child was at the party, I promise it wasn't yours.)

It reminded me of funerals in Togo where guests come to soak their grieving hosts dry. If the funeral is a disappointment, the disgruntled guests walk behind the coffin on the way to the cemetery singing something like this:

"It was a lousy funeral
The food was so bad I had a hard time eating it.
And there wasn't enough besides.
There wasn't enough to drink.
It was a lousy funeral."

3 comments:

Shelli said...

Oh, Patty I feel for you.
God Bless you!
What does that say about society?
You have to give to the givers, and then it still isn't enough.
(Although, kids are just that, kids)

Love you!

Sandi said...

At least this was a birthday party and not a funeral! While children will sometimes say what they will say, I think the parents are responsible for training their children to be grateful. I'm sorry that had to happen. It sounds like a fun party.

Jenna Bunner said...

Hi Patty! happy to see you today (sorry it's been so long)
If it were me, I would have said, "Here's your party favors -- now scram, kid."
ha!