Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Hunters and Gatherers

I derive great pleasure from placing food on the table that I planted, harvested, and prepared.

I am a gatherer.

In the past few days, I've picked strawberries, spinach and lettuce from my garden, and harvested kale and radishes along with my mother and mother-in-law from a friend's garden.

Tonight's dinner (eaten outside in the sunshine which has finally shown its face), consisted of Walla Walla sweet onions and kale, a green salad from the garden with fresh radishes, blueberry pie (picked last summer), and fresh-baked baguettes.

The meal would have been incomplete, though, without the provision of the hunter. The piece de resistance was a moose roast, a melt-in-your-mouth cut of meat that would never have made it to table if it was up to us gatherers.

I suspect each of us is, to some extent, either a hunter or gatherer. Are you?

3 comments:

Linda Judd said...

Yep, I'm a gatherer. Here's my blog on the subject: http://lindaswindow.blogspot.com/2007/12/hunters-and-gatherers.html

Greg Bailey said...

Wow Patty! Such fancy meals! We're a little plainer down here in the chicken fried nation!

Sandi said...

MMMMM...I love me some moose!!

It all sounds good!