Friday, July 18, 2008

Third Place Causualty

Most Americans have a third place. Your first place is your home. Second place is work (though my second place is church). And third place is that home away from home where you feel comfortable hanging out.

My third place closed down.

Cafe D'vine was a coffee shop connected to our local Christian bookstore. I could get a cup of chai or a blackened chicken wrap and type away at my work in progress. Or I could meet a friend there for a leisure chat. I could walk next door to the bookstore without stepping foot outside. It had a fireplace, a lending library, and a whole room full of smiling faces.

I was in there a month ago. The place was full. But today when I went, the sign on the door said that because of the economic downturn, Cafe D'vine is closed.

Where will I find another third place that's so perfect for me? Will it be Bubble Fusion, the funky east meets west tea shop? I doubt it. The purple suede psychiatrist couches don't exactly lend themselves to open conversation. Another tea house up the street just closed down, too. Brewed Awakenings is too far, Starbucks is too noisy, the library doesn't encourage visiting.

I'll probably end up at Barnes and Noble, though its corporate feel lacks the homey atmosphere of Cafe D'vine.

Do you have a third place? Tell me about it. And enjoy it while you can.

3 comments:

Linda Judd said...

I guess Hannah and Nate's is my "third place." Hannah and Nate's is a little bistro cafe, locally owned by Hannah and Nate's mom and dad. My friends, Sherry and Pam, often meet me there for Tuesday lunch.

Hannah and Nate's dad, Phil, knows us as regulars, and usually comes to our table to chat with us, kneeling down, with his elbows resting on our table top. He's even been known bring one of his scrumptious desserts to our table, with three forks, "You've got to try this! It's really scrumptious!"

The little cafe used to be half cafe and half gift shop - really unusual gift items, displayed on several lovely pieces of antique furniture. But unlike your Cafe Divine, Hannah and Nate's seems to be growing in popularity. As a result, they have eliminated all but one or two pieces of antique furniture and gifts in order to add more cafe tables.

Since I work downtown until 12:30, the earliest Sherry, Pam and I can meet for our every-Tuesday lunch is 1:00. Hannah and Nate's closes at 2:00. But, no fear. They've made it clear that they don't mind us staying and talking our girl-talk until 2:30 or even a little later, since they are there, doing end-of-day cleaning anyway.

Whoa! I'll bet you didn't bargain for a long-winded comment like this one, Patty! Sorry to have hogged your blog.

Sara said...

I'd say my Grandma's house is my third place. Sometimes it's even better than home 'cause there's not all the looming responsibilites.

Your Cafe sounds wonderful. What a shame.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! How sad! I was looking forward to a coffee date with my sister-in-law at this lovely Cafe. I enjoyed our special day there last year and was counting the days until we arrived (only 14!)....

I think my "third place" is definitely Heritage Coffee Shop near the Mendenhall Mall. However, I have avoided coffee for the past 9 months and suppose I must continue to do so as long as I am nursing young Elijah.

Until we meet again... even if it is at Barnes and Noble. :)

Dana