Sunday, July 13, 2008

I wish I'd had my camera!

We took the six-year old on an impromptu outing today, to an outdoor fair with booths and games and bouncy houses. She took her turn on the blow-up slide, raced me on the obstacle course, and jumped for a few minutes in the bouncy castle.

The last choice was the inflated Velcro wall. She watched another little girl dress in a funny suit, run at the wall and bounce off.

"You wanna try?" I asked.

"Mm-hmm." She kicked off her flip-flops and let the attendant help her into a Velcro suit meant for someone 6 times her weight. She couldn't even move. No way could she jump.

"Maybe I should throw her against the wall," her daddy joked.

The attendant said he could. The child gave her approval.

"One, two, THREE!" He tossed her out and up.

And she stuck.

Like a fly on flypaper. Like a starfish on a rock.

She had to be peeled down one limb at a time. She laughed at first, then went quiet.

In the car on the way home, she gave her opinion. "I stuck better than anyone else!"

No comments: