Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Time Flows Downhill

Like a snowball that starts at the top of a hill and gains speed as it grows and descends, time seems to accelerate as it rolls along.

For those of you marking time with me, my twins will turn 13 tomorrow. I think my pregnancy with them lasted longer than this whole 13 years. I want to hold back the clock. I want to deny that their time at home is more than 2/3 done, that in 2 years they'll be begging for their driving permits, that they might be taller than I am any day (I know - no big accomplishment!).

I want to dig my heels in and slow time down, but I know it doesn't work that way.

I wonder if Methuselah thought the last 300 years of his life flew by in a wink. I wonder if Adam said, "I'm 412... no, wait. Make that 422. I lost count."

I wonder if Jessica will wish away being 13 in order to land on 14, her ideal year. She wants to be 14 forever.

Don't we all.

3 comments:

Greg Bailey said...

I relate Patty. I wish we could just freeze our family at this age (maybe we sould get the baby delivered before the freeze). Until then, my feet are dug in too!

Sandi said...

I can't believe the twins are entering their teen years. I can't remember if I've told you or not, but Dave always makes fun of me because I am always marking things by the twins' birthday in Togo. He will ask about how old someone is on the team, and I always count back to the girls' 2-year-old party (intern summer) or to their 5-year-old party (first summer in Togo). I can't believe they're 13!!! Happy birthday, girls!!!

(I can still do a great impression of B's "Clap your hands and sing to the LOrd, Allelu, Allelu, Allelu, Alleluia!" talent show performance)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the twins are already turning 13! Time does flow downhill. I love that I first knew you in the years that seemed to last longer. Miss you guys! Blessings and happy birthday Jessica and Bethany!