Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Perfect Timing

More often than I expect, events in life fall together in a way that just makes sense. Take yesterday for example. We started a new history book which will finally, after 4 or 5 years of studying through history in chronological order, launch us into the colonization of America and its birth as a new nation.

Over a year ago, I put my name in the government's hat and asked them if I could receive a set of American art through the Picturing America Project. The set arrived today and it's a beautiful set of 40 pieces of American art that tell the story of our nation through photographs, paintings, sculpture and other art objects. I'm so excited about how it will dovetail with our history study over the next year or so. And I'm excited to share it with other educators who can also use it to expose their children and their students to the power of art to reveal stories.

2 comments:

Jenna Bunner said...

wow -- that's really neat. I went and looked at the collection of things you receive. At Together for Togo I stayed with an elder who works in a museum in Montgomery and he was saying they having "Whistler's Mother" -- the most famous American painting! I sheepishly admitted I didn't know it... but I feel somewhat vindicated that it's not in the collection you received. When he showed me a picture of it, I did actually recognize it. :)

angel said...

woo hoo! I can't wait to see it!