Monday, May 24, 2010

What would you grab?

Today is a high drama day on both sides of my family. People I love are being require to make quick decisions and take quick action.

To the north, my brother and his wife are on a leer jet, flying toward the hospital where their baby should be born within the next couple of hours. They got the test results back from her amniocentesis and found out that the baby's lungs are not developed enough, but her own preeclampsia dictates that the baby be born today. From the time she got the news to the time they were in the air was about an hour and a half. They didn't even have time to go home and get anything or to say good-bye to their toddler.

A fire is raging through the Bosque, forty acres so far and about 15% contained. My in-laws' house is just up the hill. They're packing their trailer in case they're forced to evacuate.

If you know my in-laws, you know the question of what to grab is a tough one. He's a book collector and has thousands and thousands of books on his library shelves. She's a weaver, a spinner, a knitter, a quilter... which fibers should she save? Which finished projects are the ones that should be salvaged?

What would you grab?

A pet? A Photo album? A laptop? An heirloom?

It's always been a hypothetical question up to now. But seriously, in a crisis, what are the most important things in your life?

I know what one of mine is... I'd appreciate your prayers for both sides of the family.

6 comments:

Kristi Weber said...

At a moment's notice, I would grab my dogs, my meds, my laptop, my flash drives, and run. If I had time, I'd pack a bag for a short "trip."

Linda Judd said...

I've been reading the Juneau prayer requests about Dana, and she's on my prayer list. And I'll certainly add your NM in-laws! I didn't think about how close they are to the fire!

I guess I'd grab my computer, my camera and my lenses, and a box or two of my old not-yet-scanned photos from the past 50 years.

Linda Judd said...

I've been reading the Juneau prayer requests about Dana, and she's on my prayer list. And I'll certainly add your NM in-laws! I didn't think about how close they are to the fire!

I guess I'd grab my computer, my camera and my lenses, and a box or two of my old not-yet-scanned photos from the past 50 years.

Papa John said...

It might be a lot easier to list the things I would be glad to leave behind.
First out the door with me would be my precious bride, and then an heirloom or two, my back-up hard-drive, and a bag of marshmallows. Let the rest B,B,B!

Lisa Harris said...

Praying for your family today, Patty.

As for your questions...hmmm...not one I hope I ever have to really think about. Kids and hubby, first of all, then my laptop that has both my writing and my photos.

Anonymous said...

My hubby, my dog, my two most note-filled Bibles.

Linda E