Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 12

If the common cold lasts 7-10 days, I'm officially declaring this one an uncommon cold. In this age of internet diagnoses, so far in the last week, I've decided I have strep, tonsillitis, mononucleosis, scarlet fever, and allergies.

Really what I have is a sore throat, probably a virus, that has taken up residence in the back of my mouth and refuses to move on.

I've tried gargling... salt water, hydrogen peroxide, listerine.

I've tried cough drops... halls and ricola, mostly, with a side of Jolly Ranchers for fun.

I've tried ice chips, ice cubes, icees, ice cream, Italian ice and Popsicles.

I've tried Ibuprofen, tylenol, nyquil and dayquil, mucinex, chloroseptic, and tylenol with codeine.

I've taken vitamin C, multivitamins, orange juice, lemon tea, and hot water.

I've even (and this is a shocker if you know me)... I've even gone to the doctor.

And still, all I feel like doing is lying in bed. I checked out some books from the library, but I'm too tired to enjoy them. I miss my family and my friends, my routine, and most of all my energy.

Got any remedies I haven't tried yet? I'm game for anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty!
I am sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well. You asked for any suggestions in your post..well, when I was in college I had a very bad case of mono and I had ZERO energy. Plus, my tonsils were so swollen and infected that I couldn't even close my mouth or swallow. My grandma, who is a big alternative medicine follower, went to the local health food store and bought all sorts of immune system herbs. The only ones I remember are enchinacea and golden seal root. I crushed the pills, blended it with Kefir (a yogurt drink) and drank! It really worked for me. So, my suggestion is to seek advice somewhere where they sell that kind of stuff and load up! :) I hope you feel better soon. Much love! Tracey Ries

David said...

A friend had success with accupunture recently. Oh wait, that was for a stiff neck. Never mind.