Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Identity Crisis

I was shopping at Costco this morning and noticed something I hadn't seen before. In the fresh produce section, the round red fruit we used to call plums were packed in boxed marked

FRESH PRUNES.

Fresh prunes? Are prunes so popular that people are wishing they knew how to buy them fresh? It rang a bell, so I wandered over to the dried fruit aisle. Sure enough, you can buy a product there called

DRIED PLUMS.

I thought the idea of calling them dried plums was to give the fruit a younger, sexier image. Did that backfire? Do we now need to reach out to the older crowd to offer them the fresh version of the magic fruit that solves all their digestive problems?

Here's what I think. I think someone went to sleep during the ad campaign meeting, couldn't remember what the consensus was, so he decided to cover his bases.

2 comments:

David said...

Yeah. Something definitely backfired. I'm just not saying what it was.

Sandi said...

Did you just use the word "sexier"?!!