Sunday, November 03, 2013

A Season of Thanks, Day 3

They say good things come in 3's. 3 of my favorite people were born on the 3rd of the month, so it must be true. Just saying I'm thankful for family isn't enough, so here are 3 reasons I am thankful for these 3 special ladies.

Jessica
1. My oldest child (by 4 minutes), Jessica whole-heartedly embraces the role of the firstborn, making sure the world is safe and in order for her sisters "behind" her.
2. Jessica has a gift for watching other people and noticing what is important and valuable to them. She has fostered a spirit of compassion. When I see her heart open to the pain of others, my heart swells with pride.
3. She is an extremely talented artist, not just in what she produces with her hands, but it the way she sees the universe. She's going to do some amazing things.

Bethany
1. My second born (by 4 minutes), Bethany has the heart of an artist. I am thankful for how her ability is growing and excited to see how God will work through her art as the years progress.
2. Bethany, though very quiet, has a quick, dry wit. If you pay attention to what she says, you'll find it's often hilarious.
3. There's a spirit of adventure is this one. She constantly surprises me with what she is willing to try.

Mom
1. My mom was the model of hospitality. She welcomed in strangers and, quicker than they could imagine, she insisted they think of themselves as family.
2. She kept an inventory of people's talents, skills, and possessions and always knew the right person to call to help someone in need of a service or  a loaner.
3. She had an uncanny ability to keep a dream alive. More than 30 years after buying Jessie's truck, she researched and wrote Jessie's story. Her tenacity amazed and inspired me.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Proverbs 31:30

No comments: