Monday, February 20, 2006

my own

For the first time in my life, I have my very own computer. (Well, technically I had my own for a couple of weeks in the 90s that we bought used and that conked out right about the time the store we bought it from went out of business, but that's another story) Now I have my very own, honest to goodness, brand spankin' new laptop and I can take my writing wherever I go.

It's also the first time I've owned anything with wireless capability. I unpacked it from its box on the way home and every time we passed a Starbucks, it wanted to connect! What a smart little thing.

I spent the evening installing all the programs I'll need. Did I mention this is my first computer? It's also the first one I've set up all by myself. I've already installed anti-virus software, internet browser, anti-virus, and photo software and downloaded tons of updates. Edwin usually does all that, but I'm venturing out on my own this time.

This purchase didn't come with the high I often get when making a big purchase. It just felt right. Edwin buys the tools he needs for woodworking to help him get the job done. It's time for me to have my own tools.

One of the reasons I wanted a laptop was so I could carry it to writers conferences and keep everything together. Funny that at the one day conference on Saturday I wrote with a wooden pen Edwin turned for me and it felt right, too-- solid and smooth. I'm so thankful that Edwin is supporting me in this quest.

3 comments:

Papa John said...

I'm really happy for you, Patty. You have for so long done more with less, and it is time you have what you need (yeah, and want) to do a job/craft/art you are coming to love.

Your writing is a joy to read. It is solid, sensitive, thoughtful, and it shows direction and purpose. You seem to know a thousand ways to help me and others via computer. Any craftsperson must be properly equipped to produce quality product in quantity. A good writer needs a good computer. It is rightfully your turn.

If "dedicating" a computer to good works is appropriate, let me dedicate yours to successful writing, to benefitting others, to stimulating meaningful thinking, and to much personal satisfaction.

You deserve these things, not because the culture says you ought to get anything you can desire, but because you have earned them by faithfully demonstrating that you really always put others first and because you have long surpressed your own needs for family and friends. Now you will be able to continue those characteristics at megaspeed and I for one am looking forward to personally signed copies.

Your Pappa Daddy

Cheryl said...

Yea Patty! I am so happy for you. What a joy. Blessings on your mind and spirit and on the mechanical tool that will help you share your mind and spirit.

Jenna Bunner said...

what a precious entry by your dad for all to read. I, too, look forward to signed copies.

Can I just be petty and say I'm jealous? ha!