Thursday, February 02, 2006

Out there

Sometimes, without even noticing, I get focused in on my own life and family and what is happening with us. I lose track of the bigger world. Other times, God impresses on me the far-reaching arms of his kingdom. This is one of those times when he is whispering, "I'm working out there. Don't forget."

Part of the reason for our move down to the "big city" was that we wanted to place ourselves back in the loop for missions. We don't know when, we don't know where, but we're willing and we're listening. These are a few things that have happened in the last four days.

  • We got a letter and then a phone call from Mark. We hadn't talked to him in 3 years or so. He's making his first trip to Africa in 6 years next month.
  • We got a phone call from Chad in Japan. Exciting things are happening there and the Christians are starting to reach out to other Asian countries.
  • Elaine leaves this morning for India. She will be teaching classes on Christian writing in a country where Christians are being mobbed and attacked.
  • Barb handed me a letter from Dave yesterday. They're looking for teachers for a new school in Kigali.
  • I've been in touch with Jeff and Cheryl in Uganda because of this blog. (By the way, blogging is a mystery to me. How do people find in each in this vast cyber world? Yet they do. It gives me a great sense of responsibility to be a wise ambassador.)

Is this just coincidence? Or a call for us to be praying for our missionary friends? Or a deeper call to rekindle the fire in our hearts? It's easy to say we'll go someday. It's incredibly hard to say send me now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey sis. I often appreciate your deep thoughts, as shared in your scribblings.

You stated that it is hard to say "send me now." I just want to affirm to you that today God has you right where he needs you. I will pray that God grants you a peace about where you are and how you are serving Him and others. He will open your heart to the missionary call again, in good time. Until then, let go of any guilt or anxiety that crosses your mind about some other place. Rest in the knowledge that God is working in you each day for HIS glory!

I am so proud of you!

David