Thursday, June 08, 2006

blameless and pure

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the the universe as you hold out the word of life--" Philippians 2:12-16

Do everything without complaining or arguing? Ouch. Surely that doesn't mean what it says.

Everything?

What about telling my kids to pick their towels up for the 114,739th time this week? What about waiting in rush hour traffic? What about paying over $3 a gallon for gas? What about getting in the express lane behind someone who can't count? What about being too hot? Or too cold?

If I want to become blameless and pure (which I do) I've got to stop arguing and complaining. I want to be like one of my daughters who said tonight, "I don't know why God invented joy, but I'm sure glad he did."

I want to be the kind of person who finds joy in every day living, who experiences wonder in the mundane, who gives up whining, grumbling, complaining and arguing in favor of love, peace, and kindness.

3 comments:

Jina Hinson said...

Patty,
Most parents teach their kids John 3:16 or something akin to that for their first memory verse. Not me. This was the first verse my kids memorized. And they still quote it to me when the "sibling love" becomes a little too intense, if you know what I mean.

Now, I ask you, why did you have to turn the tables and apply it to me, the parent? :) Thank you for making the Word living and active for me today.

Jina

Cheryl said...

I sure needed to hear this and be reminded. What a challenge obedience can be...especially when I'm hot and tired.

Papa John said...

Harrumph!. Surely this doesn't apply to curmudgeons, does it?

Grumble, mumble, cough, cough, harrumpf, mumble, mumble.

Well....

If the child says so.




(The one who IS Joy?)





well...





OK.




"grin"




There!




and Thanks for the reminder.