Tuesday, June 20, 2006

He doesn't need a telescope

We shivered in the midnight wind and stared into the sky. Thousands of stars lent their light to the night, enough that even without a moon, we could still see each other's faces.

The ranger pointed with his green laser into a dark patch of space.

"Right around there," he said, waving his light in a small circle, "is a cluster of over a million stars."

I squinted to see the million stars, but all I could see was the laser defraying into nothingness.

A million stars hidden in a dark corner of space, and beyond them, a billion more.

"He determines the number of stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power, his understanding has no limit." Psalm 147:4-5

1 comment:

David said...

Thanks for sharing this verse. As we stared into the vast darkness of space, I was singing this verse in my head. I recalled stopping on a mountain pass in Wyoming on my way back to college, and laying on the hood of the car staring at literally millions of stars.

In contrast, I have found it irritating the late night radio commercials and countless internet sites that will allow you to name a star...for a price. $24.95....$49.95....$69.95, depending on how much stuff you need to prove you bought the naming rights.

God is sovereign! He is majestic! "...HE calls them by name."