Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Call to Prayer

Cyndi Chowning, missionary in Benin, West Africa, was hit by a moto today. The impact threw her against her car. She died soon afterwards.

Cyndi and her husband Richard have given their lives to Africa. They spent several years working in Kenya, then moved to Abilene where Richard taught missions. While we were in Togo, they moved to Benin to work among the Aja people.

I'd like to ask that you join me in praying for Richard as he decides whether to bring Cyndi's body back to the US for a funeral. It's too soon for him to make any long-term decisions, but I think we need to pray for wisdom when the time comes, whether he will stay on or return to the States.

Pray for the Vaughns, Randy and Kelly and their children, who work in the same town as the Chownings. Pray for past teammates, the Baileys, Crowsons, and Hicks as they sift through memories of Cyndi, especially for Heather Hicks, the Chownings' daughter.

Pray for the Chownings' children, Aaron, Heather and Naomi, and for their grandchildren.

Pray for Aja Christians who have known and loved Cyndi. I'm sure that her death will make an impact there. Pray that it is a good one.

Cyndi is the third missionary wife I have known who was killed in a similar fashion. I find that wounds I thought were long-since healed are still a little tender. In that regard, I ask that you pray for those affected by Cathy's death in Kenya and by Nancy's death in Togo. Both of these ladies have spent many happy years now in the bosom of Abraham, but they are both still missed by those of us they left behind.

Lord God, I pray that you accept Cyndi into your arms. Hold her and heal all the wounds of earthly life with the living water of eternal life.

Maranatha.

4 comments:

Papa John said...

I tried over and over to add something comforting about such bitter news. I have nothing to offer, but for us to call on the Lord. For the sake of friends and family and for Richard, with tears and in prayers we join in what Patty has well said for all of us. Amen.

Sandi said...

Patty, my heart is so full as I think about this hard, hard news. Thank you for your ministering words of prayer.

Cheryl said...

This is hard, hard news...indeed, Maranatha.

Thank you for your words of prayer...we will be in prayer for the Chownings and all impacted by this loss.

Jeff Cash said...

May our God of love bring comfort.

Patty, we have joined you in prayer.