Monday, February 02, 2009

First Monday

I love talking with friends. Conversation can go any which way depending on the day and who I'm with. This weekend, hanging out with one of my buddies, we've covered topics ranging from the economy to bad haircuts to raising kids to home improvement plans.

Conversation with God can go every which way, too. My prayer times often skip the deep stuff to get to the easy prayers - prayers for people who are traveling or those who are ill, for those going through divorce and those who want blessings for their plans. Good prayers to pray, but they don't require any risk on my part.

Today, though, I've been called to a harder prayer. A friend of mine is calling people to mobilize in prayer on the first Monday of every month in hopes that we will see God moving in hearts around the world. On this first 1st Monday, he's asking that we fall silent before God and that we confess to him our own sins and failings, the failings of the church and of the nation.

Honestly, when I heard him say it, I thought, "well, at least confessing the last two will be easy." But God calls us to humble ourselves before him and before each other. And humbling myself means doing the hard things first.

There are many ways you can live out a deeper life, but for now, I'm going to join the worldwide prayer of 1st Mondays. (You can join the 1st Monday group on Facebook for more information.)

No comments: