Sunday, March 05, 2006

Karame Mwana

Cherish the Children

1994. Emmanuel was a student in the Congo.

A Tutsi boy.

From Rwanda.

35 members of his family were killed in the genocide. Emmanuel and his mother were the only ones who survived. Now, 12 years later, he wants to make a difference to his people, a people who are still suffering.

In Rwanda, there are many widows... and many orphans. Orphans whose parents were killed in the genocide are now teenagers. They are growing into adulthood without parents, without adult guidance. Others are orphaned because of HIV/AIDS which continues to ravage many parts of Africa. Still others are left home alone when their parents are imprisoned for aiding in the genocide killings.

Emmanuel took in 9 orphans. But it wasn't enough. He had an idea to help widows and orphans form family units. He is raising money to provide sponsorship for children and small business loans for widows. He can't help everyone, but he is helping as many as he can.

We attended a benefit concert last night. Rwandan music for Rwandan children. Drums, dance, traditional stringed instruments, songs in Kiswahili and Kinyarwanda. It was beautiful and alive. We chose seats on the left wing of the auditorium and, just as the concert started, a crowd of African nationals surrounded us. I found myself standing beside Edwin in a strangely familiar situation as I clapped and tapped my feet and felt the rhythm of Africa vibrate in my bones.

The dance and music were offered in praise to God. Expression that used to be reserved for other gods was made holy.

And the people danced... the white people danced badly, but with great joy. And God was glorified.

3 comments:

Sandi said...

I had a similar experience recently at a concert by the Saweto Gospel Choir from South Africa. I would have loved to be there with you guys hearing the Rwandan music. Thank you for sharing.

Papa John said...

I enjoyed the table-talk reports from both of you yesterday. Clearly it was a special experience, as I could almost hear the music from your disciptions of the musicians, instruments, crowd, and ambiance. I could read the rhythms still in your body language. A happy involvement always goes further when it is shared with such energy. Thanks for including me.

Jenna Bunner said...

Frank and I finally rented Hotel Rwanda two nights ago, and I was amazed by how "at home" I felt while staring into the screen. I thought of you, Sandi, and of those guys that took the survey trip over there recently. God is definitely doing something through the evil that was done there not so long ago.