Thursday, March 02, 2006

Old Advice

I pulled out my Jr. High yearbooks this week and among the advice to "have a good summer" and "stay cool" and "freak out!" I found a couple of gems. It's like some of my teachers saw things in me that I wasn't ready to see in myself yet.

  • Think rocks (that's from the earth science teacher)
  • Keep Reading, it will never let you down (not like I was likely to ever stop reading!)
  • Remember the Oxbow Incident Incident! (Ouch! This was my first real clash with authority. We were assigned a book that I didn't like and that I didn't want to read. So, I tried faking my way through it, not too successfully. Then I tried lying my way through it and got punished, big time-- thanks, Dad. Then I just took a lower grade-- not like I had a choice. I've got to admit-- I faked it through a few more books after that, but none so memorable as The Oxbow Incident. To my credit, I did go back and try to read it as an adult and I still couldn't make it past the second chapter.)
  • Remember to set priorities. You have a lot of talent, but you can't do everything at once.
That last one is the clincher. Set priorities. I could have slept a lot more in high school and college if I had listened to his advice. Even now, I still find myself thinking about all the things I want to do when I grow up. I could do this or that or that over there. How to choose? How to choose? Even with writing, I want to do everything. I want to write children's books and devotionals and homeschool methods books and articles and novels. If I could focus in one one or two, I might be able to actually develop some skills. I suppose I'll have the same problem when I'm 97.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patty,

I have been following your blog for a while now. I'm not sure if you remember me--Jina Hinson. I knew you just a bit when you interned in St. Louis. I lived there with my husband, Gerald, and my little son, Levi, at the time. He is now 13 and has 3 siblings. I remember having a dinner with the Togo Team at the Hollands' apt., I think. Anyway, I found out through the Gerards that you and Edwin have moved to this part of the country (I live in Snohomish) and googled you and found your blog. I must say that I resonate with many things you say! I check almost daily to see what will next appear! Patty, when you lived in St. Louis, I only knew you to be a quiet, kind person who I supposed to be a deep thinker. I was right. You have such a heart for Jesus. You are not afraid to ask hard questions, questions that don't always have answers. I have often said to Gerald, I need to get her phone number and invite them to dinner! Anyway, thanks for sharing your gifts of writing, thinking, and living Christ in blogland. God bless you and your family!