Saturday, March 04, 2006

Updates

Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer (the caterpillar) eventually climbed to the top of the habitat, spun a bit of silk to stick himself to the ceiling and hung upside down. We held out hope that he was going to BECOME, but, alas, he spent all his energy partying in his youth and just didn't have anything left to give the transformation process.

Naked Eggs

After our eggs had spent a day being handled, held up to the light, and squeezed so much it's a wonder they survived, we continued our experiment. We placed one in a cup of water and the other in a cup of corn syrup. Eggs have semi-permeable membranes. The egg in water swelled to twice its normal size (apparently water can pass through the membrane to ENTER the egg). The egg in corn syrup shriveled as the corn syrup drew the liquid albumen out.

Checks and Balances

I had a kind of crummy morning on Thursday. Forgetting that it is my job to just be faithful to writing to God's glory, I was disappointed to get a letter back from a magazine editor challenging me to sell her an article I had written. I believe she said my idea was a "no brainer". I went back and read the article and, sure enough, it was did not offer enough new information for that particular market. I found I could not sell her on an idea that I no longer believed in myself.

I don't like getting rejected. I'm not used to it yet, though if I keep writing, I'd better learn not to let it get me down.

But on Thursday, I did. I was discouraged.

And then, I got the most lovely comment on this blog from Jina who I haven't heard from in 13 years! Her words came at the perfect time. I thank God for her encouragement and for his own impeccable timing.

No comments: