Friday, September 22, 2006

instead of counting sheep



I've never suffered from insomnia. Or rather, I don't let insomnia bother me. If I can't sleep, I use it as an opportunity to read or surf the net or pray. This week, though, I've woken in the middle of the night every night, unable to sleep, but unable to concentrate, too.

I want to submit a story about a beach memory to a compilation book, but I'm having trouble coming up with the right story. So this week, in the middle of each night, I've been taking an inventory of beaches I've visited to put me back to sleep.

Here are the ones I remember, from (kind of)East to West.

Mombasa, Kenya
Grand Popo, Benin
La Plage, Robinson, and Ramatou, Togo (and various points between Aneho and Lome)
Elmina Castle, Ghana
Coconut Grove, Ghana
Marseille and Nice, France
Tortolla, Virgin Islands
Marguerita Island, Venezuela
Rehobeth and Bethany Beach, Delaware
Palm Beach, Florida
Hermosa, Redondo, and Zuma Beach, California
Newport, OR
Canon Beach and Hug Point, OR
Ft. Stevens, OR
Long Beach, Ilwaco, and Gray's Harbor, WA
Kalalok, WA
Sand Point and Cape Alava, WA
Dungeness Spit and other beaches on the Straights of Juan de Fuca, WA
North Beach, Ft. Worden, Kala Point, Indian Island and other beaches on the Quimper Peninsula, WA
Auke Rec, Sandy Beach, and others in Juneau, AK
Dyea, Admiralty Island, Portland Island, Pelican and others in the Inside Passage, AK
Barrow, AK

I have many, many happy beach memories and very few bad ones. How about you?

3 comments:

Patty said...

As I listed my beaches this morning, I noticed that Geoffrey has been to more beaches with me than porbably anyone else. Both of the pictures are from beach days with Geoffrey (Half Moon Quay, Bahamas, and Cape Alava, WA). I stole the top picture from his site!

G.Wyatt said...

Wow.... a photo credit... something to add to my resume.

Anonymous said...

That is alot of beaches! One funny beach memory I have is from high school. My best friend and I were on a "celebration of graduation" trip in Corpus Christi TX. We spent the morning laying out on the beach. We made an unfortunate parking error and found our car sunk in sand up to the doors. It took us about 2 hrs to find a kind soul to help us dig out...by which time we were as red as lobsters. :-)