Monday, September 18, 2006

John 15


I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so it will be even more fruitful... No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing... This is my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you... This is my command.

Love each other.

Jesus is the vine, the root, the life giver; God, the gardener.

I am but a branch. My only job is to stay stuck on the vine. Beyond that, it's all up to the plant and the planter. Even fruit bearing is ultimately not my job. If I'm attached to the life source and if the gardener has pruned me well, I'll produce good fruit. Just as the branch cannot will itself to produce fruit when it sees the gardener headed over with the lopping shears, so I cannot force fruit out of myself.

It is the product of living water flowing through my heart.

No comments: