Friday, January 20, 2006

Beyond the Gates

The End of the Spear comes out today. 50 years after the murder of 5 missionary men in Ecuador, the men who killed them want to speak out. They don't want to be remembered for their savagery or brutality. They want to tell their story of redemption.

We were killers, but we followed God's markings on the trail, and now we have changed.

They want us to know that we, too, can change. Whatever we've done, whatever evil remains in our hearts, God's grace and love are big enough to cover all.

To read my review on Beyond the Gates of Splendor, the documentary that tells the true story behind the story, go to

http://www.wineskins.org

3 comments:

Jenna Bunner said...

can't wait to see both the movie and the documentary. Do you think it is okay for the kids to see?

Thanks for the review!
That reminds me -- I listened to Steve Saint on a Focus on the Family podcast the other day, and it was awesome.
Oh yeah, listened to an Imago Dei sermon, too. It was really good. Fun to hear a pastor using words like "totally" and "like, whatever." ha! But very encouraging that God's word is being honored in that generation.

Patty said...

I didn't let our kids (10 years old) see the documentary. The whole focus of the story is the murders and, while it's not graphic violence, it is there. And there are the real photos of their bodies in the river. It depends on your kids, but I think if they were to see it, it would have to be with some prep and some talking afterwards. We considered it, but I think I want to wait to share this story when they're old enough to understand its impact-- maybe a couple more years?

You're a monster with that iPod!

Sandi said...

This story has always been so inspiring to me. I read several of Elizabeth Elliot's books while in college, and I really look forward to seeing the movie. I really hope that it will come to Columbia. We're a pretty liberal town, so I don't know if it will happen...we'll be keeping our eyes open!