Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Downsizing

Let your yes be yes and your no, no.

Our new house is half the size of our old one. I was tired of rattling around in a too-big space, of cleaning rooms we never used. Also, we moved into a hot real estate market and, in order for me to keep home schooling, we needed to keep the mortgage managable. So, we're downsizing.

Downsizing means sorting, purging, clearing out the things that won't fit. It means trips to the dump, to goodwill. It means learning to use Craig's List.

I listed 9 items on Craig's list on Saturday-- 3 dressers, a saw, a sewing machine table, some free computer stuff, some attic stairs, a washing machine. Listed them and waited. And learned about people. Here are some things I've observed.

1. People are greedy. Anything that says "free" on it is vulture fodder. We had 30 people asking for the attic stairs. Several tried to think of clever ways to convince me that they were the right ones to take the stairs. Ooh-- pick me! Pick me!

2. People are generous. Several who responded about the computer parts said they work with charities. They build computers out of old parts to give to people who can't afford a computer.

3. People are impatient. Apparently, the faster you are at spotting something for sale, the better. "Put my name on that," they said. It reminds me of the story where the man licks his finger and touches every piece of chicken he wants before anyone else even has a chance to eat.

4. People are patient. I sent Edwin across town to deliver a dresser. The wrong one. The people there were confused, but very gracious and will wait for delivery of the correct one.

5. People are decisive. They seem to know what they want, though I can't really seem to pick up on the pattern. One guy even turned around in the driveway and left without looking at the washer he came to pick up. Did he just get a bad vibe from our house?

6. People are indecisive. "I'll be by for that tonight... no, tomorrow... no, maybe I don't want it after all... or maybe I do." I'm getting so tired of people changing their minds.

7. I am just like other people. If only I could look down at these people and say, "I would never act like that." But I am like that. I want to make enough money off of these sales to set aside for other things for the house. One the other hand, most of what we have was given to us, so when a need arises, I just give it away. I want this stuff gone NOW so I can have space in the garage. But I've tried to work with people and their schedules. Off it all goes and god riddance. But I actually pulled the sewing machine from the list because I had second thoughts. Maybe I should put it back on...

I've communicated with a lot of people this week and the one thing I've noticed is that it drives me crazy when people waffle. If someone says they'll be here Tuesday at 3, I want them here Tuesday at 3, or pretty close to that. I'm pretty reliable about things like that, but I want to be 100% reliable. If I say I'll do something, I want people to know that, without a doubt, I will do it.

No comments: