Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dans la Tempete

I'm sure you've seen it-- the Jean Guichard photo called Phares dans la Tempete. It's actually one of a series of photos of lighthouses, each standing spectacular and strong in the midst of incredible turmoil. If you haven't seen it, check it out at http://www.jean-guichard.com/.

How did they build such a magnificent lighthouse in such a dangerous place? They obviously thought it worth the expense and trouble to save lives. How many ships have been turned away from the rocks on the Brittany shore because La Jument is standing strong, both in calm and in tempest?

We drive over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge from time to time-- the famous Tacoma Narrows where Galloping Gertie galloped to her death. The bridge that stands now is tall and strong. And its new younger sister is even taller and stronger. Every time we drive across, I peer down into the channel far below to see the two places where concrete meets water. How can I be sure the bridge's feet have been firmly planted? I've just got to trust the engineers.

Where is my anchor? How am I attached to bedrock? Do I trust the engineer?

No comments: