Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Road Signs

Writers, by reputation, are reclusive. I know I can fall into the tendency. I would probably spend my life in front of the computer if not for the kids demanding that I be present from sunrise to sunset. One of the great blessings I've had in the past year, though, is getting hang out with other writers from time to time when we crawl out of our dark places to share and laugh, to recharge and energize before going back into our holes.

Last night was one of those nights. 9 of us got together in Mom's living room to listen to Pat Rushford talk about her writing career. She has written over 40 books and had a lot to share about the ups and downs of the publishing industry. http://www.patriciarushford.com

I've also been hooked up with another full-time author in a mentoring relationship. I'm looking forward to being critiqued, analyzed and criticized.

It is always a blessing when someone farther down the path takes the time to come back and show you the way. It has been a long journey to discover the value of expert advice. How much pain could I have spared myself if I had heeded warnings along the way?

No comments: