Monday, January 08, 2007

Hearts Entwined

I don't often cry, but I did today.

Several times.

I cried for Ablavino whose oldest child, Ablavi, died yesterday after a long illness stole her twenties from her. For talkative, opinionated Ablavino whose voice has been silenced by a hard-hearted husband. For Ablavino who mourns alone as the rest of her family wails and cries out that Ablavino's faith in Jesus brought about this tragedy.

I cried for Brenda, who first saw Ablavi as a friend and later embraced her family as her own.

I cried for Murphy and Christine, for Marty and Louise, who search for ways to offer help and comfort, who live in a place where the questions are so difficult and the answers harder still.

I cried for Edemno and Delano and Suzanne and all the other mothers of Zebe who try so hard to keep their children safe but fail again and again.

I cried for Sandi and Jenna and myself as small pieces of our hearts wither with the loss of friends beyond our reach.

I cried for Ablavi and the choices she made, the choices made for her. I haven't been in her life in many years, but I have a hundred pictures of her in my mind... of her braiding Esi's hair, or pounding fufu, or fetching water from our faucet, or repeating a phrase to me for the fifteenth time until I truly understood.

I told her story to a girl today, a girl about the same age Ablavi was when we first met. This girl said, "The death of one is a story; the death of millions a statistic."

I thank God that Ablavi was not just a statistic. Her life touched mine. Her story is part of my story. Against all logic and reason, our stories are entwined.

4 comments:

David said...

I cried for you, my sister, as I could feel your hurt. I pray God will fill your mind with positive memories of close friends in Togo and fill your heart with thanksgiving and healing.

Sandi said...

Patty, thank you once again for the comfort of your words.

Anonymous said...

I have prayed for all of you. I lost one of my close Ugandan friends (our house worker) while we were in the States on furlough. I am sorry for your hurt. I am so sorry for Ablavino. Thank you for sharing this, Patty.

Becky Reeves said...

Patty, thank you for sharing your heart. May the God of all comfort comfort Hablavino and all who love her and loved Hablavi. I'm especially praying for you and Jenna and Sandi and Lisa and Brenda as I know you long to be there to comfort her. She is blessed to have all of you as friends offering up your supplications to the Lord for HIm to comfort and love her as she grieves. I love you!