Sunday, January 14, 2007

really SMALL world

Lori and I have been friends for - what? - 4 years? We were thrust together at a camp out where, for some reason, we were the only 2 families not from a certain church. They all knew each other, we both knew no one, so we paired up. Soon afterwards, we joined their home school co-op and our kids became fast friends, which is a fantastic excuse for us moms to get together.

When I was visiting her a couple of weeks ago, she pulled out her Christmas album which is filled with photos of all the people who send her photos in in their Christmas letters. I thumbed through, listening to stories about her good friend from Mississippi, her other friends from Idaho, her family on the East Coast. I turned a page and stared straight into a face from my past.

"Why, that's Nancy!" I said.

"You know Nancy? How do you know Nancy?"

Nancy, who first invited Lori to church, was from the family I stayed with every summer when I went to camp. Nancy, who left Anchorage to move to Egypt, looks exactly like she did when we were both 12. Nancy, who I haven't thought about for 20 years, brought a new friend into my life.

If Nancy hadn't extended a welcome to Lori, Lori never would have made connections in the Church of Christ. And without those connections, she wouldn't have been at the camp out where we met. And if she wasn't there, my life would be so much the poorer.

Small world?

I'll say!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I made the blog! I am so excited, I am going to send this to Nancy. I love how you wrote it and tied it all together. What a small world!
Lori~