Tuesday, January 16, 2007

An Old Fashioned Snow Day


I've got nothing deep to share today... just the warm, satisfied feeling of a well-spent day.

We awoke to gently falling snow, which wasn't a surprise. What did surprise us was that it kept falling and falling into the afternoon. Mid morning, I dug out my husband's ski shoes and went out cross-country skiing for the first time in over 20 years. I never was an expert, but the gently swishing of skis on fresh snow brought back sweet memories. I've never heard the neighborhood so silent. Cars had not yet beaten down the three inches of white fluff.

I came home to hot chocolate and chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles that I started simmering on the stove last night. Then it was out again with the whole family for some sledding, skiing, and snow angels. The little one (the perfectionist, you remember) announced that she already knew how to make a snow angel, but that she wouldn't because it might mess her clothes up. With a little encouragement, though, she knelt down and gave it her best shot - stiffly at first - but then with great pride in her perfect angels.

Back at home, we scraped up a layer of untouched snow and made a big pot of snow ice cream which went down with a smile. Then Daddy read to the older kids while the little one and I read together.

A hot bath, some flannel jammies, and a sigh of contentment.

What a lovely day.

3 comments:

Sandi said...

It sounds like so much fun! Our backyard looks like a winter wonderland, but really it's just complete ice. I liked it until I fell down and am now aching all over!

Kat said...

Have you ever made snow candy?
I don't remember how but it had something to do with maple syrup & made like the old fashioned rock candy.
I had forgotten all about that until you mentioned snow ice cream!

Patty said...

I've never heard of snow candy. I'll have to look into that for the next storm!