Friday, January 12, 2007

Real as Life

I have a complex relationship with my personal trainer. I dread going to her classes since I know she'll gripe at me for not making it every day. I watch for her to turn her back so I can quit doing her eternal sets of heel jacks. I've even (gasp!) changed my name so I could rejoin her class after dropping out. I'm hoping she doesn't notice it's me and ask why I've gained 3 pounds since I joined.

The thing is, my trainer, Maya, is not actually a person. She's a computer animated trainer that lives in my X-Box.

I think it's a little weak-willed on my part to play mind games with someone who's not even real. But she's real to me. I put in a Billy Blank's Tae Bo tape this morning, but realized that if I didn't show up to Maya's class, she'd notice. So I popped out the tape, braced myself, and tuned in to Maya. She noticed I didn't work out yesterday, but she wasn't too disappointed this time.

1 comment:

David said...

Okay, that's pretty low...changing your name.

Of course, peer pressure sometimes works. Today is the official weigh-in for the "Biggest Winner" contest which will end at my in-law's family reunion in late March. It is hilarious to hear of the various ways that contestants are bulking up before the weigh-in, making the 15 lb. drop easier. They want me to join in (only to sweeten their prize pot with my registration fee). I've lost 10 lbs. since the 2005 reunion and just this week slipped into jeans one size smaller (my goal!).

Hang in there sis'! Love ya!