Sunday, May 25, 2008

Endless Summer

Officially, it's over. The 2007-2008 school year, that is. Unofficially, I still want the kids working on French a few times a week, one of the older kids has about 45 minutes worth of work to do before she's free and the younger one really shouldn't stop practicing her handwriting.

Officially, though, we're on summer vacation.

Long, hot, lazy days sprawl before us, promising relaxation and sun.

If you buy that, you don't live in America. Somehow, the summer is filling up with swimming lessons and camping trips, birthday parties, doctor appointments, and standardized testing, visits from grandparents and the promise of a new nephew. Alas, those lazy days of summer seem to be reserved in the minds of those of us with memory loss.

This summer, I want to write. I want to catch up with all my friends, clean out the pantry and the cabinet under the bathroom sink, and grow a freezer full of vegetables. I want to walk through the farmers market with the generation before me and hold a baby in my arms from the generation after.

I want to make the world a little bit better place and help my kids to do the same.

What are you doing this summer?

2 comments:

David said...

Endless travels: business trip to Las Vegas, visiting Grandpa in Torrance, camping at Mt. Rainier & the Snake River, girls to Texas, cabin on Lake Coeur d'Alene, Family Camp, and a hopeful backpacking campout. In between I'll start a business (Lord willing), co-direct an Upward soccer season, celebrate our church's 100th anniversary, host a few backyard BBQs, and continue my quest for an organized garage. Looking forward to sharing some of the summer with you!

Jenna Bunner said...

hey Patty -- I'm trying to keep the boys going on Math this summer, but they're convinced that's the most evil idea ever concocted. The fact is, we're going to camp Tahkodah for 2 weeks, Aaron has mission trip with youth group, they'll both go to another camp...math won't get too much attention.
I wish we could hop into a plane and see the Northwest!
love and miss you.