Friday, May 02, 2008

Unfinished Business

Leonardo da Vinci took years, sometimes decades, to finish a painting. He was such a perfectionist, he would work on a picture for a time, then set it aside to work on it later. Some of his most famous paintings remained unfinished after his death. He couldn't bear to let his creations go until they were exactly how he wanted them.

I might be related to da Vinci. Or at least my father is. He has a series of paintings he's working on which may never see the light of day as he adjusts, tweaks, repaints, and corrects.

I know the feeling.

I got another rejection back on my book proposal yesterday. It's the 3rd of three that said, "I really like this idea, but it needs some MAJOR work to make it shine."

My first reaction was to throw up my hands and say, "I quit. I'm just not a writer." My second reaction, though, is to say, "I really believe in this story. I want to make it work." What I don't want to do is chase after the market. I've tried that and it's a lot of work for a very unsatisfying result.

So, now my question is, do I leave the manuscript in the archives while I pursue something else or do I take it out and give it another go?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give it another go, Patty. Just by the Title I want to read it! Someone will see the beauty in it. Love you guys!

Sandi said...

I'm sorry, Patty, about the rejection. It must be so discouraging -- the hardest part of being a writer, I think. May God give you wisdom in knowing what to do. Love you.

Papa John said...

I keep reworking those pictures because I am still learning how to present the image more accurately all the time, and my skills levels are growing in respect to the paints and brushes, and light and shadow, and color, and dimension and perspective, and a lot more too. With experience my painting eye and my brush hand both become steadier. In the same way your writing voice will become clearer and more evocative of your characters and storyline.

Someday I will decide I am sufficiently satisfied to put a painting in a frame and let the world have a view and form its own opinions. Go ahead and start the next book(s). Keep the former novels within reach too, for they can be shaped and reformed until cast in publishers ink.

Meanwhile I am eager to read your newest version of this book and the ones which will follow it. Not just because they may become national best sellers, but because they represent your best work, and that – whatever it is - is always impressive and delightful to see.

Lavinia said...

hey, Patty, send your book to us! We'll read it and give you some feedback! Lavinia is a faithful reader of your blog. She's really trying hard to be the 15,000th log-onner. Bubba and Lavinia.