Thursday, May 08, 2008

Out Standing in Her Field

It's been a year since I blogged about some women I know who were facing breast cancer treatments. Jane had a tough time with chemo and surgery. I prayed for her lots and missed hearing her talk about her cherries and strawberries and all the other fruits she loves to can.

I stopped by to pick some rhubarb at Jane's today and it was so good to see her back out in her garden. It's where she belongs.

I guess I'm getting to the age when I'm always going to know someone with cancer. Anita's on my prayer list now. Her search for 3 good things in every day and her view of cancer as an opportunity have elevated her to hero status for me. I love the attitude that took her to the hills to offer her thinning hair to the birds for their nests.

Jane and Pam, Carol and Larry and Allen. Anita and sweet Linda. There's a strength and beauty that is born through their suffering.

2 comments:

Papa John said...

THis post gave me a tight feeling in the chest and throat and tears in my eyes, 'cause I know and love most of these folk too and in a small way understand the harsh road they are traveling.

Everyone of them is a hero - each for various unique and impressive reasons, but always for how they have found joyful ways of conquering their cancer even while enduring the agonies of chemo and radiation (and other kinds of medical care).

Most of us can append to your list the names of other precious, stalwart champions who are at war with the cancer in their bodies.

Let me add Marjorie.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the reminder, now I'll go catch up on 'nita...