Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Around the World

I'm a big fan of The Amazing Race, a race around the world for a million dollar prize. I think my addiction to the show, though, is that it brings back all the emotions I used to go through each July in the (not quite as amazing) Juneau Road Rally.

As junior navigator, I was relegated to the back seat, but I always sat with my arms on the backs of the driver's and passenger's seat, my eyes shifting between instruction booklet and speedometer. "Don't go over the speed limit, Dad. Remember time and mileage both count. Turn left up there. Now watch for something yellow..."

I don't remember what the prize was the year we came in second. The glory of being in the winners' circle was prize enough. Of course that pride was knocked down a notch or two when we came in 26th the next year (even though it was a poorly written clue that threw us off).

Another race that brings back fond memories is the Great Maltese Circumglobal Trophy Dash. It's a race around the world that I did with my friends in 9th grade. And it all takes place on a map laid out on the kitchen table. I've often wanted to do that race again, but thought it expired when Games Magazine went out of print. Lo and behold, it's still going on every year.

So this October, you may see me through the dining room window poring over maps. But in my imagination, I'll be in Mali, or Punjab, or maybe even Antarctica! And, in grand family tradition, I'll be inviting a couple young navigators to come along.

1 comment:

Papa John said...

Wheeee! I remember it well, and I still have my National Road Rally Manuals should you need them.

Rallying in college was a challenge and a cut-throat recreation over courses of 00 to 400 miles sometimes. I always enjoyed the simpler ones we did in Juneau, and you sometimes sat the right seat as navigatior because you were the best of us at it. (A brother or two not withstanding).

Go for the journey! Lots of times it is the destination too.

Papa