Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day

Crazy as it seems to us, it’s Mother’s Day once more.

Another year has come and gone much swifter than before.

It’s time to look to our future, but e’er we close the door

On last year, let us hearken back to recent days of yore.


A son of yours, the oldest one, took his life to new heights,

He bought a boat, got a new job, and then he set his sights

On reaching out to other men while taking them on flights.

So he bought half of an airplane. Excitement it ignites.


Next is your girl and her three kids, her husband and their hound

They moved in down the street from you. You knew they’d come around.

Now talking on the telephone and visiting abound.

And for your kid watching service, you really should be crowned.


Before we knew it, number three had moved back to the States.

Not close enough to you, but still he sends daily updates

His winter was so long and dark, but now the cold abates

And we look forward once again to each story he relates.


You may be wondering by now if you will just be stiffed.

"It’s sweet," you say, "but just a poem?" Oh ,please, do not be miffed.

Some say I’m cheap, but I prefer to call that cheapness “Thrift.”

Read the first letter of each verse to find your special gift.


Love,

Tabitha, Payton, Katie, Bethany, Jessica, Geoffrey, Patty, Paige, Edwin, David


Happy Mother’s Day!

5 comments:

Patty said...

The Canby Conference is a 4-day Christian writers instructional retreat. Mom and I attended last year and had a ball. We'll be going this year again.

Anonymous said...

You are the most amazing child/lady! Spending the day placating your Father''s whims (see Millstones blog), the evening preparing homemade pizza orders, and the midnight oil creating a poem for Mother! When do you sleep?

I cannot believe I will experience another year at Canby!I honestly felt 2005 was a "once in a lifetime" experience.

I daily thank God for His blessing me with such a wonderful family! And I thank my family for "calling me Blessed."

love - mom

G.Wyatt said...

Mom - We love you and we knew you enjoyed that trip last year so we wanted you to be a part of it again. I'll call you later if the phone lines let me through. - GW

David said...

Mom-Keep your writing dreams alive and keep learning. I hope Canby 2006 is as useful and memorable as it was last year.

Patty-Thanks for coordinating our efforts and presenting Mom's gift in such a thoughtful way.

Happy Mother's Day to you both!
Love, David

Jenna Bunner said...

I was going "canby? -- surely patty didn't make a typo when she was wanting to get her mom some special candy!" ha!

Patty, thank you for sharing your poem. Your mom is a special lady, and I love that you spend creative energy to honor those you love.
(my creative energy is harder to come by than yours, I know!