Sunday, May 07, 2006

Wisdom of a 4-year Old

Living with little ones is sometimes challenging, often entertaining, and always a learning experience. Here are a few conversations with my youngest in the past couple of weeks.

on anatomy

It was communion time. Time to be quiet and reflective. She was sitting on her daddy's lap and running her tiny hands over his face. She put one hand on either side of his cleft chin and whispered, "Daddy, you have two bum-bums."

on love

"I'm going to marry Daddy when I grow up. You can marry Papa, but I'm gonna marry Daddy."

on fair trade

I was driving the car and she was buckled in her car seat behind me. She had a water bottle in her cup holder, but she was obviously thinking about the diet soda she could see beside me. She asked for a drink, but I said no, she could have her water. She didn't say anything for about 5 minutes. Then, out of the blue she asked, "Mama, do you like water?" "Yes, I do," I said, oblivious to the fact that a trap was being laid.

"Then you can have my water and I'll have your Pepsi."

on beauty

I bought a bottle of Aussi shampoo. When I pulled it out of the shopping bag, she clapped her hands in excitement. "I wanna take a bath now. I'm gonna smell like a kangaroo!"

1 comment:

Jenna Bunner said...

how do you remember these? do you write them down as she says them?

I laughed out loud. thank you, Tabitha!