Monday, May 29, 2006

Food Fest!

I don't consider myself a great cook. I'm more into making meals that are at least marginally nutritious and that everyone in the family will eat than serving up gourmet fare. But the layout of our house dictates that if we have company with children, the adults sit at the kitchen table while the kids have the run of the rest of the house.

We had weekend guests which means I spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Jokingly, we called it a food fest. Pizza, Columbian potato soup, baked chicken, gyros, baked oatmeal and more cups of tea than I can count were prepared and served up. But the food, honestly, was background to the real feast that went on.

Education, faith, chick flicks, history, agriculture, and video games were all served up as conversation. Nothing was off limits; nothing was too important or too trivial to become fodder for discussion.

Friendship is such a blessing. I know it's a recurring theme for me, but each time I catch up with friends, I'm reminded of God. He created us in his image. He created us to crave relationships. I think friendship gives us just a little taste of what relationship with Him can be.

Just a little taste, but so satisfying.

Thanks, Gene and Laura, for the feast. It was a taste of heaven.

1 comment:

Jina Hinson said...

Patty,

I know what you mean about friends being "food for the soul." And Gene and Laura are some of the best soul food! We recently hooked up with them again (been almost a year ago now....can't believe it) and just talked and talked and talked and, you get the picture. Those kinds of interactions put flesh on the idea of community for me.