Monday, May 08, 2006

Moments of peace

The first sip of hot tea on a busy afternoon.

The long breath between "Let's pray" and "Dear Heavenly Father".

These are the two most relaxing moments in my life. Something about the velvety texture of perfectly brewed tea slipping down my throat is like a sigh. I can feel the tension drain from my shoulders. It's more than a drink; it's a ritual that sets everything in perspective.

In the same way, praying is a sigh, a chance to let God's spirit blow his sweet breath into my soul. In that instant before a word is spoken, the worries and cares of life slip off my shoulders. In truth, I don't even have to put voice to the prayer. It's enough just to let out a sigh that speaks for itself, wordless groanings or satisfaction.

What are the most relaxing moments in your day? Do you make time for them every day or do you put them off as I tend to do?

3 comments:

Jina Hinson said...

When I know I have some time and I sit down at my piano and just let whatever come out of my fingers as I sing or pray or play for Him, those are relaxing moments. Also, the early morning, when it is sunny, sitting on my deck with my Bible, wondering what God will say to me that day...what new revelation He has waiting just for me. Long walks in new surroundings are very refreshing. Lastly, sitting curled up in a blanket with a new book, just letting myself get lost in another world. I love each of these things and long to do all of them often. Alas, life also happens to figure into the picture..... :)

Patty said...

Jina,
What lovely moments. Thanks for sharing.

Jenna Bunner said...

patty, I think that release that comes at the beginning of a prayer is something you've disciplined yourself to do. I think it gets easier once you realize you're doing it, but I have stopped halfway through a prayer before and realized that I hadn't yet stopped my mind of my own thoughts and opened it to the Lord's.

I have always loved the saying "An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind." I love that feeling at the end of the day when I lay my head on my pillow, confident that it was the day the Lord made -- not that I did everything right, or got everything done -- but because I am abiding in Christ, it was worth it.

Do I know Jina Hinson? that name sounds familiar.