Friday, May 05, 2006

Conversations with God

I grew up in a church that wasn't much into vocal response. You might hear an "Amen" once in a while if the preacher asked for it, but it was hard to distinguish the "amens" from all the men clearing their throats after the Lord's Supper.

Over the years, I've discovered a certain joy in verbalizing agreement. I'm not so much into shouting out "Preach on!" in church, but I've found, especially in prayer, that acknowledgements and agreements drive prayer to a more intimate level.

I sat in a circle this afternoon with 3 dear friends (or was it a square since there were 4 of us?). We prayed in agreement by reiterating each other's concerns. But we also prayed in agreement as we felt free to finish each other's sentences, interject opinions, and pop in with another request as it came to mind. Moments of serious-ness, moments of laughter, moments of tears, all offered up to the one who sits on the throne.

By the end of the hour, we had a pile of demolished tissues and peaceful hearts. It was truly a joy to include God in my conversation with friends... and to include friends in my conversation with God.

3 comments:

Jenna Bunner said...

I praise God that you are being blessed to experience "popcorn" praying again at its best. I miss that prayer relationship so much, but I am thankful to have experienced it, at least for a season of my life, that some haven't yet known at all. I'm holding out hope...

Patty said...

Praying with the same people for over ten years came with its own once-in-a-lifetime blessings. It's been fun, though, to find a group of people who don't just talk about praying-- they actually do it. I've been craving this (and praying for it) and still do. Love you and miss those special times together.

Sandi said...

I also miss that special time of prayer with close friends. What a blessing that God has given to you through these women. I, too, Jenna, am holding out hope... :)

Patty, the beginning of this post reminds me of a story that our previous preacher told once...he used to preach in this church where there was an African American woman who was very expressive during the worship service...it noticably bothered some people, but there was one phrase that she would yell now and then that always confused him: "HOLD my MULE!" He finally got the courage to ask her, and she said that it meant, "Hold my mule -- I need BOTH hands to praise the Lord!!" It really made me laugh.