Thursday, May 04, 2006

The birds and the bees


I guess I wasn't paying attention in biology class.

Did you know that a colony of bees uses nectar to make honey to eat through the winter?

Of course you did.

Did you know that on any given day, all the bees from that colony gather nectar from only one kind of flower?

I didn't.

This has nothing to do with what the bees need. It is all about getting pollen from one flower to another of the same kind so the flowers can make seeds and propagate their species.

"Survival of the fittest!" was Darwin's battle cry. He based his whole theory of evolution on the assumption that plant and animal species evolve in order to ensure their own survival. To what advantage is it for the bee to travel far afield to pollinate similar flowers? Wouldn't it be easier for him to stay close to home and just gather nectar from any old place? But the cherry tree in my neighbor's yard can't bear fruit without my bees, so off they go to help.

A few years ago a friend suggested we do a Bible study on creation. I must admit I rolled my eyes. Creation? I've probably read that story more than any other one in the Bible. After all, it's the one you read every time to commit to reading the Bible straight through.

An hour a day, five days a week for 13 weeks we studied creation. And you know what? I ended up knowing a whole lot less than when I started out, having a lot more questions, and a greater appreciation for God's awesome power and design.

1 comment:

Papa John said...

Hmmm. I always go to the same flower to get my honey.

Frankly, I'm only starting to realize how many examples of symbiosis God wove into the natural world. Makes me wonder why uniquely differing people can't live in interdependent harmony without pointing out the other fella's quirks.

Good post, dear Patty.